Property Management Blog

3 Instances in Which You Need a Property Caretaker in Tampa, FL


Our topic today is property caretakers and why you might need one. If your property is going to be left vacant for more than a couple of weeks, you might want to hire a caretaker. That’s someone who is going to have the skills and resources to handle all the unexpected property needs in the period that you are away.

Recently, after one of our afternoon rainstorms, a woman was being interviewed by our local news, standing in the middle of a flooded neighborhood. She said she was in charge of watching her neighbor’s home while her neighbor was away. She was clearly frustrated and she didn’t know what her next steps should be. Her own home was not flooded but she wasn’t sure what to do about her neighbor’s home. This is a level of responsibility that is pretty tough on someone who doesn’t have the resources or experience that a professional might have.

There are three specific reasons that you might need a caretaker service:

  • If you are going to be away for more than 30 days, hire a caretaker. Someone needs to inspect the home and ensure the property condition is being protected. If you need to file an insurance claim, the documentation your caretaker can provide is especially important. Your insurance might refuse to pay the claim if you can’t show that someone was visiting the house and it was not left unattended.
  • If you have purchased an investment property but because of HOA or condo association rules you cannot lease it out for a year or two, you’ll need a caretaker to check in on it. You need eyes on that home while it’s vacant to make sure nothing is happening. You also want to be sure the grass continues to get mowed and the pool is regularly cleaned.
  • If you have no intention of renting the property out to a tenant because you’re going to use it yourself as a vacation home or you’re going to let your family use the property, you’ll need a caretaker. Perhaps you know you will be out of the area for a year – maybe out of the country – and you want to return to the home in a few months. Safeguard that property by using a caretaker service.

Please contact us at Berkshire Hathaway if you need some help from a caretaker. We’d be happy to help you look after your vacant home.